We enjoyed reading and appreciate your responses to our Pollution Solution Resolution blog posted on December 29, 2015. In light of receiving so many innovative and forward-thinking practices that save resources and money, we’d like to offer ideas that go “Beyond the Bag.” So many of you told us that you already practice our suggestions and essentially are Going the Extra Eco Mile. We are committed to sharing your ideas through our Environmental Health Services blog. Here’s what we heard from you:
- I use the plastic newspaper bags to pick up after my dog.
- I use the paper grocery bags for storing my recyclables.
- I’m using all my newspaper bags to pick up the poop from my two dogs.
- Make the other days meatless too.
- I keep one reusable bag in every purse/backpack I own so I’m never left without one!
- I keep a reusable mug or water bottle in my car and/or backpack.
- I take public transportation to sporting events.
For our Eco Champs, a few more ideas:
- Bring your own produce bags to the local store, supermarket or farmers market.
- Buy in bulk using reusable containers.
- Bring your own reusable container when eating out (please ensure you bring clean containers).
- Choose products with less packaging – this sends a message to the manufacturer.
- Buy more fresh produce and less packaged food.
- Organize a clothing swap with your friends and other families – it’s a blast!
- Adopt your local storm drain: using gloves, carefully remove trash built up along the curb, before it goes down the storm drain and into the ocean or the Bay.
- Read environmentalhealthnews.org and savesfbay.org.
- Follow our Environmental Health Blog and tune in for future posts on other eco-tips. including safer cleaning using less toxic products.
Share more tips with us in the comments below or let us know what you’re doing to have a pollution-free 2016. We will continue to add to this list as we hear from you!