Follow these tips to stay food safe this holiday season whether you are making a Christmas ham, Kwanzaa jerk chicken or Hanukkah latkes.
- Use a chafing dish to keep hot foods at (+135°F) or above.
- Use ice bowls to keep food cold (-41°F).
- Refrigerate leftovers within two hours of preparation.
- Reheat leftovers quickly and thoroughly to 165°F.
- Bake cookies according to instructions It’s temping, but don’t eat the raw dough!
- Prevent colds from spreading to your food. Keep sticky fingers out of the kitchen and cover foods if possible.
- Wash all fresh produce before cutting or consuming.
- Wash your hands before, during and after food prep.
- If frying foods, be aware of the cooking times needed to make sure food are fully cooked and ready for consumption. Find out where to properly dispose of the cooking oil after use here.
What food tips or recipes do you have to share with us? Comment below!
Happy Holidays from Environmental Health Services!